DORA and colleagues published in May 2020 a new briefing document, “Rethinking Research Assessment: Ideas for Action” which provides five design principles to help institutions experiment with and develop better research assessment practices:
- Instilling standards and structure into research assessment processes ;
- Fostering a sense of personal accountability in faculty and staff ;
- Prioritizing equity and transparency of research assessment processes ;
- Taking a big picture or portfolio view toward researcher contributions ;
- Refining research assessment processes through iterative feedback.
The brief also outlines five common myths about research evaluation to help universities better understand barriers to change and provides analogous examples to illustrate how these myths exist inside and outside of academia.
Source: DORA’s blog